History of our Granary
Brovarnia Gdansk and Hotel Gdansk are located in a historical granary, once known as „Góra”, and today as „Nowa Pakownia”. The building was first mentioned in mortgage registers from 1690, the year that the granary has been built according to historians.
Later in time, it served as a drying house. In 1816 it became property of the government. Since 1826 it belonged to the Main Customs Office. Most of the chambers were used to lay duty upon the goods and to store the freights. This was the time when the name “Nowa Pakownia” replaced the previous name “Góra”.
The building was always considered to be “lucky”, because, unlike the other surrounding buildings, it has never been destroyed during the II world war.